I’ve had a dozen versions of carrot cake since going vegan. First, there was the meal that used plenty baking dust generate a fluffy cake that you might taste it within the finished item. There is one which tasted like banana bread. Then there is the tropical version with coconut and pineapple and macadamia nuts from a renowned cookbook i shall not name, which was therefore sickeningly sweet i possibly could barely choke it down. Missing from my entire life was a no-frills, simple, old-fashioned carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
For me personally, this dessert strikes the location. The recipe the following makes two cakes about 1″ high, and therefore is perfect for stacking. Make the full recipe for a two-layer carrot cake. Alternatively, you'll halve it, make it in an 8×8″ pan, and slice and stack the ensuing square into 6 roughly pieces.
But very first, a tale. In the event that you sit-in any one place in western Philly for very long adequate, you’re bound to know the cries of “Carrot Cake Man, carrot dessert!” Carrot Cake Man, as he’s understood, walks round the city all-day with an enormous tray of independently covered pieces of carrot dessert balanced using one shoulder, hawking all of them on cheap to any person within earshot. He bakes the dessert in the house kitchen, and I also want to imagine neighborhood kids lured in by the promise of sweets only to be buried under a landslide of carrots and synthetic wrap. The dessert isn’t vegan, but i really hope some one on the market will take Carrot Cake Man’s guerrilla tactics as motivation to begin their particular taking a trip vegan cake business. (and I also don’t suggest the yuppie type, either.) Perchance you could even do so from a tall bike.
Vintage Vegan Carrot Cake
Recipe kind: Dessert
Helps: 2 8×8″ or 2 9″ round cakes
- 2⅓ c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cooking powder
- 1½ tsp cooking soft drink
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp flax-seed dinner
- ¾ c tepid to warm water
- 1½ c sugar
- 1 c oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c shredded carrots
- 1 c walnuts, chopped
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- ¼ c margarine, softened
- 2 c powdered sugar
- Preheat range to 350º.
- Line two 8×8″ pans with parchment paper.
- In a little dish, sift collectively dried out components (flour through sodium).
- In a sizable dish, whisk collectively flax seed dinner and water. Beat in sugar and oil.
- Add vanilla and carrots and blend until combined.
- Add dried out mix and stir until moistened.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Pour equal parts into pans.
- Bake for 18-20 min, or until a toothpick happens clean.
- Let cool in pans ten full minutes.
- Make use of a blade to loosen sides of cake from pans.
- Making use of parchment paper, lift desserts from pans. Allow cool completely on line racks.
- Which will make cream-cheese Frosting, beat together cream cheese and margarine. Include vanilla and powdered sugar; whip until smooth. Don’t overbeat; in my experience, store-bought vegan cream cheese has a tendency to get runny.
- To put together, very carefully eliminate parchment report from one cake. Frost with cream-cheese frosting, layer, and decorate with marzipan if desired. Serve chilled.
To help make marzipan carrots like i did so, knead a fall each of yellowish and red food color into the marzipan before shaping into slim cones. Press indents into each cone and brush cocoa dust into them for some realism.