Easily'm being truthful, I never buy Victoria Sponge desserts or purchase them in coffee stores but once in a bit, We'll have a good one that reminds myself why it is such a vintage cake. The flavours tend to be simple but when done really, would be the perfect accompaniment to most hot beverages, perfect for tea time or y'know, morning meal.
And just who much better than Nigella Lawson to show to for the very best recipes? This might be from her book "tips be a domestic goddess.
225g unsalted butter, very smooth
225g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 huge eggs
200g self-raising flour
25g cornflour (note you need to use 225g self-raising flour as an alternative - Nigella thinks the inclusion of corn-flour makes for a "lighter, more tender sponge".
1 teaspoon baking powder (if making use of processor technique)
3-4 tablespoons milk
2-4 tablespoons raspberry or other jam, with respect to the fruits
1 punnet raspberries or berries of choice
125ml (or simply a 142ml bathtub) double ointment
When it comes to topping
1-2 tablespoons caster sugar (I like to make use of icing sugar)
2 x 21cm sandwich tins (about 5cm deep), buttered
- Preheat the oven to 180C / gasoline level 4. In the event that tins are loose-bottomed, you should not line them, otherwise do.
- To create this fundamental sponge-cake within the food processor: placed all of the ingredients except the milk when you look at the food processor and procedure till you've got a smooth batter. After that pulse, pouring the milk slowly through channel till your cake combination's a soft, drooping consistency.
- Making it the original way (which can be what I performed): Cream the butter and sugar, include the vanilla and eggs, individually, incorporating a spoonful of flour between each. Fold in the remaining flour and cornflour, including no cooking powder, so when all incorporated, include some milk since you need.
- Pour and clean the batter in to the tins and bake for about 25 minutes, before the desserts are beginning ahead away in the sides, tend to be springy to touch on top and a cake tester arrives clean. Leave the cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes before switching completely and making to cool completely.
- Before you go to consume the cake, put one layer on a plate, right-way up, distribute with jam and scatter good fresh fruit over the top. Whip the lotion till it is thickened but still soft and spread-over the jammy fresh fruit. Sit one other cake on the top, and sprinkle over a tablespoon or so of caster sugar. Or sieve over a tablespoon or so of icing sugar which can be my preference.